Friday, December 16, 2016

My New Obsession -- Periphery Quilt Pattern

As a pattern designer, I make many copies of my own quilts, but sometimes someone else's pattern tickles my fancy and I have to make it over and over again.

Periphery is my latest crush.  The lovely and talented Mary Maguire designed it for By The Numbers Patterns.  This pattern is designed to use fat sixths of fabric, but it is also charm square friendly.

I dove into my bucket of 5-inch squares cut from my leftover bits of fabric and pulled out cool blues/purples and set them in gray fabric.  I seem to be making a bunch of cool quilts lately, and it suits me just fine!

The sun has been hiding since I finished this quilt, so I struggled to get the photo taken in poor light:


Do you love it?

I pulled a bunch of fabric from my stash for the backing.  I used leftover hippopotamus fabrics and some half-yard cuts with the same cool tones:


I had fun choosing the thread for this project:


For the top thread, I used my FabuLux Cuddle which has shades of lavender, light blue, and mint.

I used a DecoBob prewound bobbins for the back of the quilt, but I could have wound my own bobbins as well.

This quilt is a gift for someone who will love it whether it's a simple scrap quilt or a Houston Best of Show Winner, so I felt safe experimenting with my machine binding technique:


This quilt is on its way to a good home where I know it will be loved and slobbered on by puppies.

So isn't this simple quilt just the cat's meow?  I have pulled charm squares for a few more of these lovelies and can't wait to piece them up!

This blog post is part of the 31 Day Blogging Challenge from Muppin.com.


Check out the other bloggers who have committed to chat with you every day in December HERE.

No comments: