Sunday, December 31, 2017

Declaring War on the Scrap Bucket!

That's it!  I've had it!  I am going to get to the bottom of my scrap bins, once and for all!

To start, I selected my 2 1/2" scrap bin:


I've made several quilts out of this bin already, and it's still as full as ever.  HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN???

Yesterday I grabbed a rotary cutter (or two) and cut:


 and cut:


until I couldn't cut anymore.

I have several projects in mind to use up these fabrics and I won't stop until I see the bottom of that bucket!

SO THERE!

What are your favorite patterns that use 2 1/2" strips?  I might run out of ideas before I run out of scraps.  Who am I kidding?  I'll DEFINITELY run out of ideas before I run out of scraps!

4 comments:

Jacqueline said...

I am starting my third string quilt for this year... well this one will be a 2018 project. I use Bonnie Hunter's Jamestown Landing quilt pattern. It uses both 1/2 st and strips. Great scrap buster.

Happy New Year.

Kerry said...

LOL! I've been on a cleaning and sorting frenzy. I'm now tackling it bit by bit and while I'm cutting and sewing, I'm sorting as I go. Feels great! Also playing with Bonnie's mystery quilt - and used old - I mean really old - fabrics! Yayyyy stash bustin'.

Have a wonderfully happy and healthy-ish 2018 and empty scrap buckets by the time you get to 2019! ;)

Terry said...

Good job on the cutting! I just started cutting my scraps down into useable pieces (1.5", 2", 2.5", 3.5") whenever I touch them. Mine are separated by color, so I have started organizing them as i touch them. The quilt shop I work at hosted Gudrun Erla recently. She has a TON of amazing 2.5" strip patterns, including a bunch of quilt as you go table toppers and things. All her patterns are super organized and easy to follow as well. I'm hooked! Good luck!

Crystal_235 said...

In 2017, I sorted all my scraps by color and than cut them into different sizes, with the hopes of getting them used. I hope to make a quilt or 2 this year from my scraps.