Friday, December 08, 2017

More than Christmas Postcard Tutorial

I am a Christian and celebrate Christmas, but people I love dearly celebrate other holidays. I'm having so much fun making Christmas postcards, but I can't send them to all of my friends.

I asked a close friend if it was appropriate for me, a Christian, to send her, my Jewish friend, a Hanukkah card.  She said that she'd be delighted if I did.  So I shall.

I scoured Pinterest to get ideas for Hanukkah cards and decided to make a Menorah.


Before I tell you how I made this Menorah card, I'll tell you how NOT to make this Menorah card.

First, get out some circle quilting templates* and draw your Menorah on 6"x6" of gray fabric:


Layer with stabilizer, thread your machine, and attempt to satin stitch in a small circle smoothly:


Realize that the picture in your head isn't going to work on fabric (at least today), and move on to plan B.

Trace Menorah onto Steam a Seam 2* and cut out the pieces.  Then iron onto a 5"x6" piece of blue fabric because blue is your friend's favorite color:


Layer with stabilizer:


Thread your machine with my FabuLux Mellow Yellows and blanket stitch carefully around each curve:


Then begin the "quest for fire."  Consider appliqueing fire, but remember that the Menorah is only 1/4" thick and the pieces of fabric for the fire would be very very very tiny.  Grab some fabric markers and practice drawing flame on the edge of the postcard (the part that will be cut off).


Carefully draw flames on the postcard:


Tear away stabilizer. 
Fuse to 5"x6" Peltex and 5"x6" backing fabric.
Trim to 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" or use Postcard Trimming Tool.

Thread machine with FabuLux Blue Heaven thread and satin stitch the edging.


Write a message of love, address, pop it into an envelope, and mail it in time for Hanukkah.

No comments: